This Tipperary site was the seat of Kings of Munster as early as the 5th century, when Saint Patrick baptized King Aengus. See Cashel overview at http://sitesatlas.com/Europe/Ireland/RockOfCashel.htm.
Then the Rock site was given to the Church in 1101, and it became an Abbey. Cromwell's soldiers and cannons from England came in 1647 and there was a massacre. See http://comhaltas.com/bru/Cashel.htm.
It is restored, much of the medieval section is standing, and the guides help sort out the Romanesque from other architectures. Films, education centers. See photos at http://bamjam.net/Ireland/Cashel.html.
Full history narrative: The Archdiocese of Cashel and Emly, written from the institutional perspective, at http://homepage.eircom.net/~cashelemly/acesaint.htm
Illuminated manuscripts: 7th - 11th century AD
Irish monks of the 7th and 8th century create illuminated manuscripts which are among the greatest treasures of Celtic and early Christian art. See http://www.historyworld.net/wrldhis/PlainTextHistories.asp?historyid=ac70#ixzz1XUAZn4m3